Thursday, March 21, 2013



Courtney Da Silva

 Erica, Student in Social Work program
1. Is this a problem that you think is important ?
"Yes I think bullying is a huge problem and is only growing now that technology is so accessible to everyone. Cyber bullying is a terrible issue that derives specifically from the easy access that children gain to the Internet.
I think with growing media attention focused on the effects that bullying can have and all the suicides occurring from bullying, I believe that people are starting to take note of it and are beginning to understand the detrimental effects it has on kids lives. Ten years ago however, I don't think that it was taken seriously. And now with the technological advances it has only progressed and become serious issues rather than innocent kid chatter."

2. How do you feel as though you could play a role in ending bullying?
"I don't know if I could have a role in stopping it because I feel as though people are ruthless and will always find a way to hurt someone else and bring them down.
 But I feel as though as someone that wants to work with kids I will encounter 
many that will have encountered a situation where they have been bullied. I hope to be able to help them in dealing with that and hopefully people will be able to learn about the damaging affects of bullying."

3. As a social worker do you learn about the affects of bullying?
"I would consider it to fall under emotional abuse where it could be taunting and harassment which in the long run leads to emotional turmoil and self esteem issues which can be extremely damaging to a persons life."




No comments:

Post a Comment